Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Tyranny

I am secretly enraged at my father's tyranny: why is he imposing his own capitalistic ways on me? I shall imitate some of the things he said to my aunt over the phone:

"He must return to HongKong and never stay in Canada."
"He thinks of going to England for his masters, but according to me it is best that he goes back to Hong Kong to do it."
"He reads too much. He is getting too smart."
"An education that lasts until the age of 30 is ridiculous. Who is going to pay for it?"
"At this rate, he will never care for money and never form a proper family."
"I'm encouraging him to get a government job in Hong Kong. He is fit for it. It also pays very well."
"A BA is good enough. He does not need anything else to make good money."

So he has his agenda all along. We are ideologically different: he considers me as a stubborn intellectual; I see him as an illiterate capitalist.

I think he is so obviously wrong, but when the differences are ideological, how can one convince the other? Yet he, as the father, has power over me and my destiny. How should I fight and resist? Or a better question: can I fight and resist, without disrupting a (seeming?) unity of the family?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"He reads too much. He is getting too smart." LOL... I think that that is the first I've heard of a parent complaining that their son is too smart....
Well, you don't have to fight outright about this... But you can start leaving hints that you want your independence. You're not a little kid anymore.. you're no longer in highschool. You are an adult. Make your own decisions, explain them, and stand by it.
As well.. a bachelor's degree is becoming so common nowadays that it's going to be worthless in a few years.. analogous to a highschool diploma, which a few years ago, was all you needed to get a 'good' job.
And seriously... going back to HK? It's kinda hard to imagine a future there anymore.... it's like.. fallen to China's standards..

12:25 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home